Renton’s inaugural Oktoberfest drew hundreds of people to downtown Friday night for beer, brats, traditional German music, an official tapping of the keg of, of course, the David Hasselhoff look-alike contest.
Decorated in the style of a true Oktoberfest beer hall, the Pavilion Events Center walls donned banners of German towns, family-style tables lined the hall and more than a few attendees turned out with dirndls and lederhosen.
The Pavillion-turned-Hofbrauhaus erupted in cheers as six brave men strutted their stuff to win bragging rights in the the David Hasselhoff look-alike contest.
Much to his surprise, Jonathan Putman of Skyway emerged as the winner thanks to his wife, Kirsten and her friend Allison Thomas.
Thomas head of the competition and knew that Jonathon had a good chance. With a new outfit from Goodwill and a bit of ‘hair-fluffing’ the women primed Jonathan for the win.
The fun continues Saturday and Sunday with musical performances by Happy Hans and Manuela Horn, also known as the Austrian Amazon, who rose to fame after her appearance on America’s Got Talent. German beer will be on tap and available in half-liter and full-liter portions (in addition to red and white wine for non-beer drinkers).
German food and games will be in abundance throughout the weekend.
Saturday night will continue with the Miss Oktoberfest competition. On Sunday the entry fee is waived for all active duty military and Renton Police and Fire personnel.
- Saturday Sept.29th; 11 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- Sunday Sept.30th; 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Ticket Prices are: $15 single day entry (pre-sale)
- $20 single day entry (day of event)
- $30 single day entry + stein package
- $55 Uber Pass - 3 day entry + stein and food package
- 21+ only
- Ceremonial tapping of the keg on Friday, 6 p.m.
- Hotel packages are available through the website
- Admission on Sunday is free for active military and members of the Renton police and fire department
- The Renton Oktoberfest is a partnership between the Renton Chamber of Commerce and Berliner Pub
- For more information please see the official Oktoberfest web site, keep tabs on the event via Facebook and participate in the conversation on Twitter (@DTROktoberfest).