There are still six markets left this season and plenty of fresh produce and flowers to be had. The market runs from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and is jam-packed with live entertainment, food and fun for the entire family.
In addition to the Kid's Patch, , and Master Gardener Clinic, market-goers can enjoy the weekly "Taste of Renton" which features treats and tips by Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center from 4:30 and 5 p.m. Mike Simpson will provide live entertainment with his jazz horn from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Renton Farmers Market, Tuesday, August 21 from 3 - 7 p.m.—
- Taste of Renton: Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center 4:30 - 5 p.m.
- Entertainment:Mike Simpson's Jazz Horn5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Kid's Patch: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Master Gardener Clinic: 3 - 6:15 p.m.
Our last Farmers Market recipe featured Nectarine Cobbler, so this week we move back to the savory side with corn and avocado salsa:
Corn and Avocado Salsa
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the corn in a large pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook until kernels are tender but crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain, and cool in cold water. Use a knife to scrape kernels from the cobs.
- Place kernels in a medium bowl. Stir in avocados, red onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Mix in vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.