Ian Wright of Renton will head to Las Vegas next month to play on the USA Rugby High School All-Americans team in an international competition.
The Liberty High School student-athlete was chosen for the team at an All-Americans camp in Tempe, AZ, in late December, according to a news release about his selection. Wright plays club rugby for the Liberty Patriots.
Also named to the team of 24 was Matt Brennan of Lake Forest Park. Brennan attends Shorecrest High School in Shoreline.
The two will play in the International High School Elite Division of the Las Vegas Invitational 7s Tournament on Feb. 8-9 in Las Vegas. One HSAA team will be selected from this competition to play in the Rosslyn Park 7s in London, England, from March 18-22–as well as the HSAA tour to face the Argentina and Uruguay national teams in July.
Six other Washington players were invited to the national trials. Each remains in the pool of players being considered for future international rugby competitions. They are:
- Scott Dean, Liberty High School (Issaquah) Liberty Patriots
- Wilson Vasukilakeba, Mariner High School (Everett) Seattle Vikings
- Anthony Fleck, Ferndale High School (Ferndale) Chuckanut Bay Steamers
- Jonny Reid, Sehome High School (Bellingham) Chuckanut Bay Steamers
- Titi Lamositele, Sehome High School (Bellingham) Chuckanut Bay Steamers
- Brian Nault, Shelton High School (Shelton) Shelton