The city of Renton is seeking candidates for one position on the Renton Municipal Arts Commission. The member will be appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the City Council to serve a three-year term. Members serve without compensation and do not need to reside inside the city limits of Renton.
The commission is composed of 12 members and is responsible for promoting and enhancing arts and culture in the Renton community. The commission meets at Renton City Hall, 1055 South Grady Way, on the first Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m.
The current Municipal Arts Commission membership includes representatives from many diverse fields, with special interests in architecture, art, music, literature, education and other cultural disciplines. To assist in the implementation of the newly adopted Arts & Culture Master Plan, candidates with experience in the grant writing, fundraising and marketing fields are encouraged to apply.
Members of the commission recognize the value of artistic and cultural development in Renton through the following activities:
- Supporting cultural arts performances and arts-related organizations through annual financial assistance awards.
- Leading the implementation of the five-year Master Plan for Arts & Culture.
- Reviewing design, execution and acceptance of works of art funded or otherwise acquired by the city.
- Recommending selection of appropriate works of art for 1% for Art projects.
- Directing maintenance, inspection and rotation of works of art selected and installed for the city.
To apply for commission membership, please complete an application and supplemental questions, available at www.ArtsCommission.rentonwa.gov and on the Boards and Commissions webpage at www.rentonwa.gov or by calling 425-430-6589. Applications are also available at Renton City Hall, 7th Floor Mayor’s Office. Application review will begin on Oct. 1, 2012, but applications are accepted on an on-going basis.
For more information about the Renton Municipal Arts Commission, visit www.ArtsCommission.rentonwa.gov