Hundreds of Renton School District high school students graduated Tuesday at ceremonies at the ShoWare Center in Kent. Graduation ceremonies continue on June 18 for Sartori Education Center students and others in the H.O.M.E. program.
The district anticipates graduation rates for this school year to hold strong or increase over last year’s 94-percent graduation rate, according to the Renton School District. The state’s graduation rate last year was nearly 77 percent; the national graduation rate, according to an Education Week report, is 73 percent.
Renton students and teachers realized many other academic achievements over the past school year including:
- Double-digit gains were noted at all grade levels on state mathematics and science tests
- The achievement gap narrowed with improvements on all state tests, including performance in reading, writing, math, and science by elementary, middle and high school students identified by the state in specific income and ethnicity categories.
- Nearly 98% of district middle school students taking algebra met or exceeded state standards
- The number of high school students enrolled in higher-level Advanced Placement classes increased by nearly 71%
- The district’s graduation rate rose to 94%
- Significant growth in reading performance occurred, primarily in kindergarten through 3rdgrade
Did your child, grandchild, nephew, niece, or other family member graduate this week? Give them a shout-out for FREE in our announcements section. .
Renton recognized during first gubernatorial debate
District accomplishments continue to be recognized throughout the state. Meeting in their Tuesday, Republican Rob McKenna and Democrat Jay Inslee talked about their plan for funding and improving state education. In his statement, Inslee twice mentioned the as being a model for improvement and innovation.
Renton School District is also highlighted in both candidates’ education platforms for its innovative schools, community and business partnerships, and work to reduce dropout rates and improve graduation rates.
*Editor's Note: Information provided by the Renton School District.