Due to the possibility of heavy volume of rain and expected low overnight temperatures this weekend, Renton will open its cold weather shelter Saturday, March 17 and Sunday, March 18. The cold weather shelter is located at the , 316 South 3rd Street. The shelter will be open 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. The cold weather shelter will be operated on a first come, first served basis. People seeking shelter from the cold can enter anytime during the night, as long as there is space available. No referrals are necessary. Drop-ins are welcome. Clients must register at the door. No alcohol, drugs, and/or weapons are allowed.
The shelter is safe and confidential. Everyone staying at the cold weather shelter will be provided food, a cot and a blanket. There are separate safe areas for men, women, and families. The shelter is operated by Catholic Community Services staff, and volunteers from Harambee Church and the Renton community. As with all shelters, rules for the health and safety of all clients, staff and the community apply.
The cold weather whelter was open for five evenings in January during the 2012 snow storm and served more than two dozen people alone during its first night of service.
Below are some tips from the City of Renton for coping with cold weather:
- Residents are asked to be careful and remain in their homes for their own safety. To stay warm, wear extra clothing and use extra blankets.
- Dress appropriately before going outdoors. The air temperature does not have to be below freezing for someone to experience cold emergencies such as hypothermia and frostbite.
- Make sure to keep your gas tank near full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines. Keep extra blankets in the trunk in the event that you are stranded and have to wait for help.
- Prevent water pipes from freezing and thaw them if they do freeze.
- Stock your emergency car kit, especially with a battery operated radio, water, blankets and non-perishable foods.
Residents in need of assistance during business hours should call 425-430-6600.
*Editor's Note: Information provided by the City of Renton.