The offered these tips for coping with cold weather:
- Residents are asked to be careful and remain in their homes for their own safety. To stay warm, wear extra clothing and use extra blankets.
- Dress appropriately before going outdoors. The air temperature does not have to be below freezing for someone to experience cold emergencies such as hypothermia and frostbite.
- Make sure to keep your gas tank near full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines. Keep extra blankets in the trunk in the event that you are stranded and have to wait for help.
- Prevent water pipes from freezing and thaw them if they do freeze.
- Stock your emergency car kit, especially with a battery operated radio, water, blankets and non-perishable foods.
Need assistance during business hours? Call 425-430-6600, or visit rentonwa.gov.
If your home is not warm enough, in downtown Renton (316 South Third Street) will act as a cold weather shelter on Tuesday, Jan. 17 and Wednesday, Jan. 18. .