.

UPDATED: Skyway Mobile Home Fire Causes $5,000 In Damage

No injuries were reported in the fire along the shores of Lake Washington. Neighbors reported hearing an explosion, then fire coming from the home.

UPDATE: 5:23 p.m., 1/27/2013

(Here is an updated media release regarding Saturday's fire from Skyway Fire)

Skyway firefighters along with Renton and Tukwila firefighters responded Saturday evening to a mobile home fire along the shores of Lake Washington. First arriving units found smoke coming from the entire mobile home, neighbors reported hearing an explosion then fire coming from the mobile in the 11400 block of Rainier Ave South, just before 9 p.m.

Firefighters were able to make a quick knock down of the fire which was started by an overloaded electric cord which was attached for space heater. A cat was found dead in a back room, no other person was inside the mobile home at the time of the fire.

Damage is estimated at $5,000.

Skyway Aid 22, Engine 22, PIO21, Safety21, Chief 21 responded. Renton Battalion 12, Engine 11, Ladder 11 and Tukwila Battalion 51 and Engine 53 all responded to the call for total of 19.

To reduce fires similar to this one people should:

  • Power cords should only be used when plugged in directly to an outlet. Power cords are not meant to be connected together.
  • Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection and have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Keep clothes, curtains, and other items that can catch fire at least three feet from all portable electric space heaters.

Finally, having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire. And remember to practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.

---

ORIGINAL

Fire damaged a mobile home in Skyway on Saturday night.

Renton Fire & Emergency Services Department responded about 9 p.m., to the fire in the 11400 block of Rainier Avenue South. Units arrived within five minutes and found a single wide mobile home with smoke pouring out.

Seventeen firefigters fought the fire, and it was extinguished within 16 minutes. No injuries or fatalities were reported.

Authorities didn't have an estimate for the damage to the home's structure or contents. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation

A total of three fire engines, an aid unit, a ladder truck and three battalion chiefs were at the scene. Renton Fire & Emergency Services Department responded was providing  mutual aid to King County Fire District 20. Tukwila also assisted.

Authorities want to remind resident to make sure they take one last look around for any ignition sources - food on stoves, items close to the baseboard, smoldering cigarettes - when leaving home.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »