An early evening house fire in the Rolling Hills neighborhood caused an estimated $100,000 in damages Tuesday.
Renton Fire and Emergency Services and Kent Fire sent a total of 20 firefighters to the scene.
Renton units arrived within seven minutes to find smoke and flames from the kitchen area and spreading to the attic, according to officials.
The homeowner discovered the fire after she heard “crackling noises” from her bedroom at about 6:30 p.m.
She escaped from her home without injury and is currently staying with nearby relatives.
Renton Fire and Emergency Services reminds homeowners and renters to install smoke detectors on each floor and near all bedrooms, and to check the alarms twice each year to ensure the batteries are charged and the alarms are in working order. Also, department officials caution residents to never leave cooking unattended.
*Editor's note: The original article incorrectly stated which neighborhood in which the house fire occurred. The article has been corrected to reflect the correct neighborhood: Rolling Hills.