The National Weather Service Seattle issued a Special Weather Statement Thursday afternoon for Renton and surrounding areas for the weekend. It includes everything from snow in the passes to a risk of thunderstorms with hail in the lowlands. The statement:
A FRONTAL SYSTEM AND UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL BRING ACTIVE WEATHER TO PORTIONS OF WESTERN WASHINGTON FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY...
A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS WESTERN WASHINGTON FRIDAY NIGHT AND WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A COLD UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. THE SNOW LEVEL IN THE MOUNTAINS WILL FALL FROM AROUND 3000 FEET FRIDAY EVENING TO AROUND 2000 FEET OVER THE WEEKEND.
STEADY SNOW MAY PRODUCE 3 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW IN THE PASSES FRIDAY NIGHT AS THE COLD FRONT PASSES. SHOWERS AND CONVERGENCE ZONE ACTIVITY WILL LIKELY PRODUCE ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 10 INCHES OVER THE COURSE OF THE WEEKEND. HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS ARE MOST LIKELY ON STEVENS PASS.
THE AIR MASS ALOFT WILL BE QUITE COLD AND UNSTABLE OVER THE WEEKEND. HEAVIER SHOWERS IN THE LOWLANDS WILL LIKELY CONTAIN SMALL HAIL. THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS...PARTICULARLY AROUND THE CENTRAL PUGET SOUND LOWLANDS WHERE A CONVERGENCE ZONE SETS UP.
OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS AND PEOPLE PLANNING TRIPS ACROSS THE PASSES ARE ADVISED TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
- Friday - A 30 percent chance of rain after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night - Rain. Low around 41. South wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
- Saturday - Showers. High near 52. South southwest wind 18 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
- Saturday Night - Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 40. South southwest wind 8 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Sunday - Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 60%.